Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: Pat Bass <bpbass@gj.net>

Linda Mann wrote:

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>
> I wrote:
> > > Donald, what are the nighttime temps when your poor plants are hard to
> > > keep alive?
>
> And Donald in Texas replied:
> > It is not unusual to have several weeks with night temps in the low to
> > upper
> > 70's [F].  Our humidity is not high as a general rule, so I'm talking basic
> > warm
> > night temps.  Last summer we went for over a week with it sitting in the
> > low
> > to mid 80's [F].  Plants that tolerate this seem to be of the tropical variety;
>
> So maybe ~72oF is a night time temperature threshold for 'temperate'
> plant <performance> and ~80oF is threshold is a night time temperature
> threshold for their <survival>?  We don't have night time temperatures
> in the 80s, thank goodness.  Saving that for global warming :<

Donald and Linda--

I am not knowlegable technically on this, but will share that when I lived in Kansas
there were many summer nights where the  temperature did not get below the 70's, 80's
or even 90's sometimes and I had no problem with any iris I grew because of that.
The humidity is quite high in Kansas also (as I appreciate now that I am in a dry,
dry, dry climate).  Don't know if this is anything that will help, but even with
daytime temperatures in the 100's and nighttime temperatures high too, the iris
didn't seem to suffer.  I watered about once a week if conditions were dry.  Too much
water may be the problem, although it doesn't sound like you are watering that much,
but iris don't like wet feet.

Pat in CO