Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 08:02:04 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

I wrote:
> > Donald, what are the nighttime temps when your poor plants are hard to
> > keep alive?

And Donald in Texas replied:
> It is not unusual to have several weeks with night temps in the low to
> upper
> 70's [F].  Our humidity is not high as a general rule, so I'm talking basic
> warm
> night temps.  Last summer we went for over a week with it sitting in the
> low
> to mid 80's [F].  Plants that tolerate this seem to be of the tropical variety;

So maybe ~72oF is a night time temperature threshold for 'temperate'
plant <performance> and ~80oF is threshold is a night time temperature
threshold for their <survival>?  We don't have night time temperatures
in the 80s, thank goodness.  Saving that for global warming :<

I guess this next thought is too technical, but if we can study Punnett
squares on-list, why not...any plant physiologists or physicists out
there know what mechanisms have temperature thresholds in those ranges?

I'm on digest, so don't know if Mike Sutton in California has commented
yet - he may shoot this "story" all to pieces.

Lloyd Zurbrigg - are you still on-list?  Did you have any luck getting
the pumilas to live or rebloomers to bloom in spite of the summer
nighttime heat in North Carolina?  (and did you survive the ice storm?)
Maybe us southerners need to ship our plants north to Ellen G. for the

Donald - If the humidity is really low, maybe you could buy a hoard of
cheap 'swamp coolers' and chill the flowerbeds.  How much can the
temperature be lowered with one of those things?  Or would that raise
the humidity and cause more problems....

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
Nobody was saying anything about it on the weather this am but there is
an orange oblong blob on the national weather map right over my house.
Orange is icy precip.  Phooey.  It was "supposed" to be near 40oF and
sunny today!