Re: CULT:REB: archives, tough ones, etc

From: Pat Bass <bpbass@gj.net>

Linda Mann wrote:

> From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
>
> Pat in Colorado wrote:
> > when I lived
> > in Kansas
> > there were many summer nights where the  temperature did not get below the
> > 70's, 80's
> > or even 90's sometimes and I had no problem with any iris I grew because of
> > that.
> > The humidity is quite high in Kansas also.
>
> Here we go again - another one of those annoying iris problems where
> nothing is the same everywhere.  Grumpf - no wonder it's so hard to sort
> all this out.  Humidity is near saturation here pretty much all summer,
> but I don't know what high humidity in Kansas or California means.  I
> cannot imagine what a nighttime low in the 90sF must be like. awful.
>
> Did your irises rebloom in Kansas?  Did the nighttime lows stay above 70
> for long periods of time?  Were there a few days or a week when low
> temps were below 70?

Linda,

To answer your question--Humidity in Kansas where we lived ran between 60% and
80% pretty consistently during the summer. (Out here where we are in CO the
average humidity is 15%!  No wonder my skin is dry all the time!)  The daytime
temperatures in the summer run from a high of 85 to 105.  This is during June
through August normally, although the past few years there have been unusual
temperatures as well as moisture.  This weather is needed in late June and early
July, of course, because of the wheat harvest.  Many years when we were cutting
wheat the daytime temperature was well over 100 and the nighttime temperature was
up in the 80's to 90's.  We cut wheat many times until 10:00 at night because the
high temperature kept the wheat dry, but the humidity at night would finally get
so bad we had to stop, and the next morning had to wait until 10:00 or 11:00 in
the morning to start before the wheat was dry enough.  None of this seemed to
bother the irises, however, because I always had ample bloom in the spring and
much increase.

You asked about rebloom.  I didn't have very many rebloomers then.  Through this
iris-talk group I'm getting more and more interested in them--thank you!  But the
persons who did have rebloomers usually had them bloom in late Sept. to Oct.,
sometimes as late as Nov., but usually got nipped by the freeze by then.  I had
one old rebloomer named AUTUMN TWILIGHT which was very consistent, and one year
it bloomed every month all summer long from May until November!  Many of the ones
which were advertised from the gardens in CA would not rebloom for several years
in KS until they were acclimated for three or four years, and then sometimes
never did.

Don't know if this helps, but thought I would share this in answer to your
question.  Don't think it was so bad in KS--it is a great place to live, as is
CO!

Pat in CO where the sun is shining  and the wind is calm.