LAs: Northern Hardy

From: "Leroy Kriese" <ambrosia@silk.net>

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Festive Season! Still feel too full from
the big turkey. Had to shovel about 1 1/2 feet of snow in the last two days
so that helped.

Since there have been some postings on LA's lately I was wondering what
cultivars  or species are hardy and to what zone will they grow in? I am
trying to grow a Dorothea K.W. seedling & Black Gamecock so far. The main
problem seems getting them to bloom and survive in our hot dry summers on
sandy loam soil. I lost one seedling so I am now trying to grow and
overwinter them in large 5 gal pots. Insulated them in hog fuel for over
winter so hope it works.

Would like to know if anyone else grows LA's successfully in zones 5 or less
and appreciate knowing which ones you have been successful with.

Do LA's always have such a low germination rate? Any tricks to help them
germinate?

Leroy Kriese
Ambrosia Gardens, Vernon, BC,  Zone 5
http://www.ICanGarden.com/Catalog/ambrosia.htm