Re: CAT: Riverview Iris Garden

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

> From: ItsRoTalk@aol.com
>
>  I went to my mailbox and found the 1999 catalog from Riverview Iris
Garden!
> This is a wonderful Christmas present but is it normal to get catalogs so
> early??? I usually have to wait until March or April for the catalogs to
start
> arriving.
>  I'm curious to know how they know what they will actually be able to
sell
> come spring? What happens if they have a really bad winter and don't get
the
> plants they expect?

 Joni,

I have never ordered from Riverview, but during the AIS Convention last
June I happened to be on the same bus with its owner, Tony DeRose. From his
conversation I gathered the impression that he was a confident and
experienced grower of irises on a very large commercial scale. I doubt that
in his location (Caldwell, ID) there would be any winter conditions that
would pose a serious threat to bearded irises, unless he is so close to the
river he views that there is a chance of being flooded out.

You are quite right in feeling that this is unusually early for an iris
catalog to be showing up in your mailbox. Of the catalogs I receive, the
first one to arrive is always Keith Keppel's, which appears around the
beginning of February. None of the others usually show up before the 1st of
March, and some of the stragglers don't arrive until May.

For anyone who may be interested, the Riverview Iris Garden catalog listing
over 4000 varieties is available for $5.00 (refundable) from:

Tony and Irene DeRose
21680 Upper Pleasant Ridge  (doesn't sound too flood prone)
Caldwell,  ID  83605

Cheers of the Season!

cwalters@digitalpla.net