SPEC: Louisianans in the cold

From: "Ian E. & Shirley Efford" <avocet.intl@sympatico.ca>

Leroy asked about Louisianans in cold zones.  We are in Zone 4B and I
have hexagona, Dorothea K. Williamson and nelsoni growing very well.
They stay out throughout the winter and some of the nelsoni are frozen
in 4 inches of ice, without any apparent harm.  So far, the first two
have flowered very well and over an extended period of time, and nelsoni
has not yet flowered. I should note that I do not mulch any of my

Ian, in Ottawa where it remains mild (-1C today)