Re: Bloom Sequence--long

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>

Though you have listed Irids, among other things, as being in bloom in your
garden year round, I noticed that you had "true" Iris (of the Genus Iris)
in bloom only from February to April. Realizing that this has been your
first year in your present location and that your Iris bloom season may
well become further extended as your plants adapt and you hone your
cultural techniques, I still do not feel that we have done too badly here
in the Zone 4/5 borderlands, where our 1998 Iris bloom sequence went
something like this:
     March: I. danfordiae, I. reticulata
     April: I. reticulata, I. bucharica, MDBs
     May: I. bucharica, MDBs, SDBs, IBs, MTBs, ABs, BBs, TBs, SIBs
     June: SDBs, IBs, MTBs, ABs, BBs, TBs, SIBs, I. lactea, SPEC-X (Roy
     July: TBs, TB-rebloom, SPUs, JIs
     August: TB-rebloom
     September: TB-rebloom
     October: TB-rebloom (up to killing frost on 10/17)

Zone 4/5 gardeners in the East who had a longer frost-free season in the
fall can probably post an even more extended season of iris bloom.