Re: BULB: Dutch Iris in pot (clay!)

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>The Dutch iris which always gets zapped by an early freeze just when
>the buds are about to open, which multiplied freely and grew vigorously
otherwise and which I put in a big clay pot which is now sitting out in
the open area of the yard exposed to all weather conditions and
currently looks great raises a question - should these things get fed
some sort of fertilize or be given some kind of treatment since they are
in a pot?
>Donald Eaves

Friends of mine get wonderful daffodils each year. When the bulbs are
dormant, they top dress the ground with well rotted cow manure. I think
you can treat bulb irises in the same way, and I imagine topping up the
pot with compost or well rotted manure, when the bulb is dormant, would
do the trick. Growing dutch iris in pots sounds like a great idea - well
drained so the bulbs won't rot.
Cheers, Jan Clark