CULT: sundry iris stuff

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Hi All,
It's quiet on the list lately, so I thought I'd let you know what I've
been up to in the garden.
I finished a new bed at the north (sunny) end of the house two weeks
ago, and have been planting out potted TB's and SDB's collected during
the year. Some of the TB's I received from Barry Blyth 4 weeks ago,
already have roots protruding from the bottom of their 6" pots, so they
will go in this week too. Two smaller beds are planned for the South
end, which will accomodate my growing collection of PCN's.
As most of my TB's were moved last year, I am not planting on dividing
many, but will dig a few this week for my fathers garden at Macedon. His
climate is milder than here, so they should settle in well over the
summer. I will also lift and pot a few that have done badly - SPIRIT
WORLD, FANCY WOMAN, HARMONICS, ACOMA. These can go in large pots and
remain there until they start to produce some decent increase.
I have harvested almost all of my SDB and IB crosses, and have a little
box full of labelled paper envelopes. Some I will soak and stratify in
the fridge over summer, and try and have plants up by the end of March.
I intend to pot them in tubes and let them over winter under shade
cloth, which is all the frost protection they will need here. This
should give them a good start, and I can hope for bloom in the year
Tomorrow I will dig out my garden maps and identify my SDB clumps, and
relabel them. The labels I put out recently must have been written on
with magic ink, as the names have completely disappeared. I will check
all my other iris and daylily labels and re-mark any that are fading.
I have a major garden project planned, but that's another story.
I'm enjoying my holiday freedom, and the weather is pleasant enough to
allow quite a few hours of gardening each morning.
Cheers, Jan Clark