Re: CULT: Weather Info

  • To: Iris-talk <iris-talk@onelist.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: Weather Info
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:09:55 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Barb Johnson sent me the website for Knoxville weather data - Nice to
have that site bookmarked - I've rummaged around for hours trying to
find a nice simple fast local weather site with no luck.

But it doesn't have the data I was looking for - just gives monthly
averages for several years (probaly the last 30) - I want monthly
maximums and minimums or at least monthly averages for a given year.
Best would be daily so I can look at the number of days (nights) at
different temperatures (in July, August, Sept?) & how that relates to
timing of subsequent bloom (Oct vs Dec).

I realize that a lot of things affect that timing (esp. maturity of
rhizome, moisture, humidity and heat, maybe daylength), but if nighttime
temperature is part of the story, maybe I can sort it out - I am
especially interested in finding out if there are 'bloodlines' of fall
bloomers in which fall bloom is initiated at higher summer night-time
temperatures than others or maybe briefer periods of low summer
temperatures.  I also wonder if it's a continuum of response (cumulative
effect of a bunch of genes?) or if there are groups of responses (one or
more sets of dominant and recessive genes?). [that last bit is pretty
much made up from nothing]

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA