REB: Bumblebee Delight

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Mike Greenfield wrote:

I posted earlier that I had a rebloom stalk on this Iris. With the weather
as it is here, that stalk will not make it to bloom. I has not shown color
and I did not protectit from freezing. I cut it and cut the bloom open. The
colors were not BBD. I have a miss ID on this one. It did not bloom this
spring.
<

Not necessarily mislabeled!  Pigments are still developing at that stage.
Dissecting immature buds can be a highly educational experience, but it's
not an effective means of verifying identity.

Buds do get broken off by our spring winds.  I started dissecting the ones
from maiden bloom, and got VERY excited about  a knocked-off terminal that
hadn't matured enough to show color but on dissection appeared to be true
black -- not a hint of blue or purple, just shiny black.  Waited
breathlessly for the later buds to open -- which turned out to be a
nice-but-nothing-special  reddish-violet.  I've also dissected some that
showed promise of being that elusive white arilbred, but fully developed
flowers had yellow ground.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com