Re: 25 favorites

From: DANAEAGLES@aol.com

Donald,

I may can help you on growing Jap irises successfully in Tx.  Several years
ago, I grew 6 cultivars as a test plot along with 6 Siberians as a test.
This year my husband & I expanded both test plots to include up to 20 of each.

Our Tx soil is very alkaline, so the 1st thing we did was to remove it down
to about 24".  We then took plastic & lined the excavation. We poked several
holes in the plastic so we would not have a pond, and then back-filled with a
mixture of compost,peat moss & pine bark mulch.  The irises went directly
into this mixture.  They are growing in full sun and are kept wet, but not
soggy all year long, even in winter.  All but 1 of my jap irises thrived &
bloomed and all of the siberians did very well.  We have since expanded the
area so that we will have one bed of siberians & 1 bed of japanese.

I know that this is a little extra work in the begibut I feel it is
definitely worth it when I can cut Japanese irises to share with my church
members in late May.