CULT: JI: Survey: IAPETUS and GREAT WHITE HERON

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 11/30/99 11:35:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rdhager@dmv.com writes:

<<  My favorite selections of long standing are: 'Iapetus' This selection
grows a little shorter than most, so it can fit well in the mixed border. The
depth of its color is almost unbelievable. >>

Dennis gave me a start of this one for my mother a couple of years ago and it
has proven to be a strong grower here in Richmond, too. It is short, but this
means that one can look down on the flower and examine the nuances. I think
it is more drought tolerant than some as well.

I share Dennis' fondness for GREAT WHITE HERON (Marx '53) as well. I grew it
some years ago but lost it to southern blight. Very commanding, and the
flutterymost. Registered as five feet tall, but I don't think I ever saw
that. It is historic,  both by the HIPS standard and by that of the JI folk,
who deem a Japanese iris 'historic' at the twenty year mark rather than the
thirty year mark.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com