Re: JI: Historic...

From: Catherine Fulmer <cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com>

> << I attended judges training on JI last year and the instructor insisted
>  that "drooping" forms should be penalized in garden judging. >>

I recently attended judges training (nov this year) with Keith Keppel. He
made a comment regarding judging falls which fall versus ones that flare
(talking about medians) that I think could even apply here. Basically, it
has to do with the height of the flower. If it is very short and close to
the ground, then you would want more flare to make the flower nicer to view
and vice versa, tall ones need more fall.

In the case of "Great White Heron", which has reached 5 feet for me, this
makes the whole flower a much more pleasing/striking view, both close and
from far away. I could ask for just a wee bit substance/rain-resistance on
this flower, but I still very much enjoy it in my garden.

 Catherine Fulmer    Network Administrator    609.386.8600 x444
 cf@pavcal.com                                fax: 609.239.0798
 manowar@waterw.com              http://www.waterw.com/~manowar
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line
broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"