Judging JI

To quote the new Judges Handbook, page149:

"Since the fall is the largest area of color, anything (such as narrow falls, recurved falls or prominent holes in the top of the flower) which  limits the show of color should be penalized. They may be wide and horizontal or arching downward, but they must be graceful and in good proportion with the rest of the flower." (The underscoring is mine).
It would seem, from the original comment, that the instructor was condemning forms in which the falls did not approach horizontal. This, I am assuming, was his/her personal preference.
I have seen, as most of you have, many JI's where the falls do indeed droop. Unless the falls were severely recurved I would not fault the flower, given that all other parameters were acceptable.

Dave Silverberg
Molalla, Oregon