TB: Pendant Falls and Ideal Form

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/2/99 12:55:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca writes:

<<  Many stunning droopy flowered TB's must have been composted along the way
to achieving 'the' ideal form. >>

I don't doubt it. And I wonder what is next, after achieving horizontal
falls? Are they go to start upwards from there like tulips? Or are the
elaborations we see in the space agers the only new formal direction left to
explore? That can't be so....

Of course, many stunning drooping flowered TBs once represented the currrent
canon of "ideal form," an "ideal" which changes with prevailing fashion and
new developments in hybridizing and thus cannot really be said to represent
any eternal standard.

And you may be assured that many stunning droopy flowered irises, either
rejects from seedling fields or things pitched to make way for new
aquisitions colonized those compost heaps and persist happily there to this
day, presenting a brave flash of color that carries exceptionally well from
their pendant falls.

The bottom line for me regarding form in TBs --or anything else really---is
whether something is a good looking iris on its own terms. If something is
not right with the relation of the parts to the whole it doesn't matter
whether the falls are fashionable or not, and if everything is well
proportioned and graceful, then you have a good looking iris. I concurr that
smaller irises look much better with horizontal falls.
Anner Whitehead