Re: TB: Pendant Falls and Ideal Form

From: Kenneth Walker <kenww@pacbell.net>

The more extreme "modern" brearded iris make me think of ballerinas
pirouetting in long skirts. While not an unattractive image, it is a far
cry from the stately, regal forms that I envision for a perfect tall bearded
iris. And when you add wide, extremely ruffled petals, the flowers are
clearly moving from the realm of art to that of gaudiness. There are some
modern trends that I like: clear bright colors, good substance, nice branching,
and good bud count. Do we really need to forego these things to grow iris
with clean simple classical lines?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't want to eliminate the gaudy forms from
our choice of iris. Diversity is a great thing! It just seems that most breeders
are caught up in one "fashion trend".

Yes, I've thought about trying it myself, but don't feel quite ready to undertake

the research needed to pick and find the iris to use as a starting point for
developing my "perfect iris". Maybe some day, but more likely I'll head
off on something less "conventional" than tall bearded iris; maybe
I. foetidissima...

Ken Walker