Re: RE: REBLOOMERS and the CHECKLIST

From: RYFigge@aol.com

Hi, guess you have found out that the CHECKLIST  for RIS has both zones and
states - and country(!) listed for rebloom of any iris that has ever
rebloomed, whether "supposed" to rebloom or not!  Supposedly that is to help
anyone doing hybridizing can choose that iris for a parent even though it has
not the supposed genes to actually produce future rebloomers - they might
"discover" something (!?) -- but just to have it in your garden and hope for
a rebloom  is a poor reason for buying it unless you like to experiment and
"buyiing a pig in a poke".

Before I'm accused of opening a "can of worms" --- there is a better, more
clearly written article in THE REBLOOMER  RECORDER (Vol 53: 17, Spring
\1999) by Mike Lowe.  IF you don't possess this copy of the RECORDER
[I shudder to think that you are  deprived of possessing such a beautiful,
different, outstanding, etc., etc. publication with actually a reblooming
Louisiana on the cover in COLOR (courtesy  of Bill Smoot, the acknowledgement
of his expertise was unfortunately omitted).   If you do not have a copy, I'm
sure one can be obtained from Charlie Brown for a small sum!]    (Hope you
have a sense of humor for the above!)

Mike's article states one side of the problem very clearly.  I have tried to
bungle through with an explanation of the other side of the question when I
presented his view to some hybridizers, who in turn loudly protested against
omitting these once-rebloomers.

I suggested that perhaps they could be printed in a separate section.  Again
the howls of protest overwhelmed me.  They did not want to have to look
through two lists (Guess they were worn out with checking through the annual
R&Is for whatever information they needed).

SO-o-o- the burden rests with the buyer beware - a caveat emptor sort of
thing.  That means we have come to a full circle - and, therefore, you really
need the REBLOOMING CHECKLST (again to be ordered from Charlie Brown), so you
can use your eagle eye  to find the irises you need for whatever purpose!
AND let me add again, we are fast approaching our own deadline where the dues
will go up with the new year (again join thru Charlie Brown).

Have I clarified the issue or  confused everyone?  Or have I just made you
more aware , which is what this is all about!   Anyhow, the main idea is to
enjoy this beautiful flower, which is even more beautiful when it reblooms --
and to learn from each other as to where and how it does rebloom!    Rosalie
nr Baltimore     zone 7 which is as confusing as the above!  After freezing
our toenails yesterday we are going to pant in the heat tomorrow!  Maybe
there is hope for my last iris of the year!   ryfigge@aol.com

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource