TB: Thornbird Info.

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

--- Earnest Royal <royal2@wk.net> wrote:
> 		With some conversations on Thronbird going on. It made
> me wonder who
> voted for it? That is impossible to find out. So I did
> the next best thing
> to satisfy my curiosity. I looked through the 1997
> Bulletins and pull a
> little information out to post. Might get a mixed bag of
> opinions, so here
> goes.
> In 1997 there were 975 judges in the U.S. and 23 listed
> in other parts of
> the world. For a total of 998 judges.
> Thornbird received 102 votes
> 	runners up
> Supreme Sultan received 69 votes
> Conjuration received 53 votes
> Looking at the total votes for the Dykes Memorial Medal
> was rather low in
> proportion to the total judges for 1997
> Something to think about, if most of the judges are that
> divided on being
> able to select the Best Iris # 1 for any year. What is
> going to happen in
> the future with ever more Iris to choose from?
> On the show report for 1997. Thornbird won in 1 show,
> Conjuration won in 1
> show and Supreme Sultan did not win Queen of show in 97'.
> Earnest Royal
> Kirksey, Ky.
> Zone 6/7
> Royal2@wk.net

   V. sez:

   I am actually encouraged by the fact that THORNBIRD
received such a low percentage of votes - it shows that
there were a lot of other good irises out there that judges
thought were worthy. Viva la difference!!! I think that we
may see this low percentage winning vote trend continue,
due to the number of good irises coming out and also due to
better educated judges, who may well be voting for
something besides a TB...
   I don't grow THORNBIRD, because I think it's butt-ugly -
but that's just personal preference, and it is a strong
grower in this area. SUPREME SULTAN is another good grower
here. CONJURATION seems to have stalk height and strength
of stalk vary with each individual garden, but it does have
a pretty flower, and apparently does well for enough people
to get the votes.
   A show here in PA last year had CONJURATION just miss
being Queen of Show - the choice was narrowed down to it
and another iris. So it can do well on the show bench also.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"Here come Ol' Flattop!"
Do You Yahoo!?