Re: CULT: Agricultural Antibiotics vs. grooming, ect.

From: "sidneygardener" <sidneygardener@email.msn.com>

Instead of using antibiotics can you dig the iris, cut off the affected
area, soak in a bleach solution, rinse, and let the iris dry before
replanting? If you have alot of rot problem why not switch to raised beds. I
know its winter now so maybe you can pot
or store the rhizomes till spring if the problem is happening now.

I grow arils so rot has to be avoided at all costs.  I grow 700 iris and I
only lost 4 last year to rot and that was my fault because I didn't check
the iris well enough for nicks  before I planted them. Nicks or cuts give
rot a place to start.

I ran alittle experiment last summer where I watered some TB rhizomes with a
B1 plant starter solution when I planted them. The four I lost to rot had
all been treated with the B1. Could the B1 make the rhizome too soft or feed
unbeneficial bacteria? Any thoughts?

People have been using aspirin. Does it work? What are the side effects?

Some of the more experienced aril growers use gypsum to get the ground to
drain. I've even heard of some using it around the base of their iris when
they've over watered an area. They say it has worked.

Cindy Rivera
President of the Albuquerque Iris Society
Albuquerque, NM, Zone 6/7
SIGNA, HIPS, TBIS,ASI,  AIS,AIG, NMIS, AAS