CULT: iris experiments

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

Mike Sutton and I have exchanged a note or two about iris suffering (he
sent me some of their intros to see how they'd do here).  I suggested he
stuff some potted irises in the freezer if he wanted to see what they'd
do in one of our "normal" springs.

Mike said:
> You know, that might not be too bad of a method for testing iris.

Have any of you tried doing anything this mean to test your seedlings?

Some thoughts -

*In a pot in the freezer, the roots would get just as cold as the tops.
Normally that wouldn't happen in the ground - air temperatures can drop
to the low 20s and only the top 1/4 inch of soil will freeze unless it
stays that cold all day, which wouldn't normally happen in early
spring/late winter.  Maybe if the pots were packed inside a styrofoam
container with lots of insulating material and only left inside the
freezer for a few hours.  I'm not sure what a temperature curve on one
of our killer freeze nights would look like, but I suspect it doesn't
stay below freezing for more than about 12 hrs & probably not in the low
20s for more than a few hours.

*It would be a good idea to put a pot of something like HARVEST OF
MEMORIES or aphylla in along with the test plants so you'd have
something strong to compare with the test plants.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA