Re: TB: Thornbird Info.

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

vince lewonski wrote:

> --- Earnest Royal <royal2@wk.net> wrote:
> >
> > In 1997 there were 975 judges in the U.S. and 23 listed
> > in other parts of
> > the world. For a total of 998 judges.
> > Thornbird received 102 votes
> >       runners up
> > Supreme Sultan received 69 votes
> > Conjuration received 53 votes
> >
>    V. sez:
>
>    I am actually encouraged by the fact that THORNBIRD
> received such a low percentage of votes - it shows that
> there were a lot of other good irises out there that judges
> thought were worthy. Viva la difference!!! I think that we
> may see this low percentage winning vote trend continue,
> due to the number of good irises coming out and also due to
> better educated judges, who may well be voting for
> something besides a TB...

Two further comments.

Although Thornbird did not have a high percentage of the total vote, it
did win by a large margin.

And another reason the winning percentages can be expected to be low is
that there are more TB's eligible than there used to be. This is by
design, trying to split the TB vote, so than some worthy candidate in
another class will have a chance. While I still have problems with the
concept of awarding 3 Wister Medals, the goal is a very good one, and I
can't think a better way of achieving it

Gerry, a fan of Thornbird
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair