From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/4/99 12:29:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, gcsnyd@loop.com

<< Gerry, a fan of Thornbird >>

And not the only one, I can assure you.

We have, of course, discussed THORNBIRD at length before on the list and
while I am distressed to see us coughing up this tired old furball once
again, I will stand up with Gerry to say I believe it is a beautiful iris and
a worthy recipient of the Medal. Not necessarily the only worthy one that
year, but certainly no disgrace or aberration. I love the purple veins and
the color is very elegant and sophisticated and in a long tradition of
similar tones in bearded irises. I won't trot out my earlier essay on
Thornbird and the "Art Shades" but it is somewhere in the Archives for anyone
who may be interested.

Now, addressing the topic of THORNBIRD's potential as a parent, I will
probably stand alone in saying I personally have no interest whatsoever in a
true red iris. I don't think red will be successful with the green of the
foliage. I expect it to look unseasonably Kris Kringle and be rather
optically jarring as are some variegatas.

I'd much rather have a good strong OVATION pink amoena blooming shoulder high
with graceful fluted falls and upswept white flounces smelling like
Shalimar... or a true aqua, refined, tailored and velvety, with furry magenta

But taste is taste and dreams is dreams and happily everyone gets to have
their very own....

Anner Whitehead
"If one tells the truth one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out" Oscar

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource