Re: Re:SPEC: Russian & Mongolian species

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/4/99 9:35:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sidneygardener@email.msn.com writes:

<<  Help! I am attempting to grow I. bungei, I. flavissima, I. humilis, and I.
 mandschurica from seed. Any tips? I soaked, stratified, planted, and waited
 last year. No luck. The pots are out under a light snow now. What did I do
 wrong?

 I have more seed so I'm trying a new batch. In "Iris" by Fritz Kohlein is
 says they should be protected from winter moisture. Doesn't it snow in
 Russia and Mongolia? Should I do dry stratification? Any help would be
 greatly appreciated. >>

Can't speak to the others, but Deno's studies indicate that I.mandschurica is
a warm weather germinator which requires light. (Search the Archives of all
the lists archived at Mallorn for Deno) Sow them on the surface of moist
medium.Press in  lightly but do not cover with medium. Cover the pot with
saran and put in a warm place near but not in a window. If they are viable
you should see some action in about a month or two. Meeting this light
requirement can be crucial in achieving germination and a lot of Iris species
have it. These did not germinate for Deno at all when denied light.

I must say that you need to ask Santa for the BIS Species book. Yes, I know
it costs the earth, and that is a pity, and the cultural information is not
very impressive but you must have it, or, alternatively, Brian Mathew's
"Iris", which is more modest, but very good. Kohlein is useful up to a point,
but you need another resource that is more current, more dependable, less
eccentric, and not freighted by a quirky translation.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com