HYB: question - slow growth?

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

A couple? three? years ago, some TB seeds were given to me that
germinated well but are the sorriest slowpoke growing plants I have ever
seen.  The surviving plants seem quite healthy but the rhizomes are
still TINY - most 1/4" or less.  I moved them out of the seedflats where
I start everything into small pots this fall and am going to set them
out (not in the gravel field) to see if that will make them do
something.

Does anybody have any thoughts on why these things are growing so
slowly?  Is there a 'slow growth' gene pool out there?  Most of these
have a lot of Blyth ancestry, if that's a clue.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA