Re: Re:SPEC: Russian & Mongolian species

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>Help! I am attempting to grow I. bungei, I. flavissima, I. humilis, and I.
>mandschurica from seed. Any tips? I soaked, stratified, planted, and waited
>last year. No luck. The pots are out under a light snow now. What did I do
>I have more seed so I'm trying a new batch. In "Iris" by Fritz Kohlein is
>says they should be protected from winter moisture. Doesn't it snow in
>Russia and Mongolia? Should I do dry stratification? Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

You might be on to something there.  Perhaps the soaking & moist winter
stratification was the problem.  Parts of Russia & Mongolia are deserts.
Surely they get rain/snow but I don't know whether their wet season is in
spring, winter, summer, or fall.

If you have enough seeds, you should experiment with different techniques
rather than putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I know that some iris species take 2 to 5 years to germinate.  So maybe its
normal for yours to take a few years too.  Maybe you haven't done anything
wrong.  I'd definitely keep them around another year just in case.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com