AR: votes - formerly TB: Thornbird

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Dennis writes:

>Why is it that the highest rated TB got 125 votes for Honorable Mentions,
>but the highest winning quarterbred arilbred only got 13 votes????  What is
>so horribly wrong with quarterbreds that they get short shrifted by
>gardeners and judges?  Why aren't more judges exposed to them?  I guess
>it's because they can only be grown the extreme desert southwest, right?
>Yeah, that must be it...

Well, let's see.  I've been working on the sorts after compiling the info
from the list and naturally picked the arilbred class as one since it is
not large in number.  Ended up with 36 cultivars mentioned, some with
several mentions.  These mentions originated from MO - 3 mentions,
OH - 7 mentions, TN - once, ID - twice, MS - once, CA - five mentions,
NY - once, TX - seven mentions, SC - three mentions, MT - twice,
NM - three mentions, WA - twice, NE - once, UT - twice.

These weren't, of course, necessarily confined to quarterbreds.  But
the spread of geography indicates exposure could be greater IF enough
folks grow them.  I can think of many reasons why this is possibly is not
the case.  Some would be practical reasons, some are downright
unflattering.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7