Re: Popularizing non-TB iris--was: TB: Thornbird Info.

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Dennis Kramb wrote:
> >design, trying to split the TB vote, so than some worthy candidate in
> >another class will have a chance. While I still have problems with the
> >concept of awarding 3 Wister Medals, the goal is a very good one, and I
> >can't think a better way of achieving it
> Get more people to grow things besides just TBs.  That could work too.

Many of us would love to do that. Do you have any suggestions as to how?
If you do, please share. (Note, this is a sincere request, plea, etc. It
may sound like sarcasm, but I recognize that it is a real problem and
want help.)

> Why is it that the highest rated TB got 125 votes for Honorable Mentions,
> but the highest winning quarterbred arilbred only got 13 votes????... I guess
> it's because they can only be grown the extreme desert southwest, right?
> Yeah, that must be it...

Unfortunately, most of us in the southwest don't grow many
arils/arilbreds either (and I plead guilty, myself).

I live in climate where non-dwarf bearded iris, Louisianas, spurias,
most AB's and many AR's, I. unguicularis, and various other species
thrive, and many iris enthusiasts refuse to grow anything other than

Judges, of course, have a duty to the whole genus, and not just their

Gerry, the uncited author of the first part of the email
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair
Region 15 Ass't RVP, JT Chair
in warm, dry, winterless Los Angeles