REB:Phenom

From: StorYlade@aol.com

Hi Talkers,

The weather has been beautiful today.  I spent a large part of the day on
yard work, which involves irises, of course.  On a sudden impulse, I decided
to check on the rebloom row in the public iris garden at Natcher school.
It's only a mile or two from the house.

Earlier in the fall, I'd been surprised to find bloom stalks on PINK
ATTRACTION, FEEDBACK, HARVEST OF MEMORIES, BLUE MOONLIGHT, EARL OF ESSEX,
WINTERLAND, TEA LEAVES, and BRIDGE IN TIME. The garden has received 3-4
inches of rain since mid MAY, including 1 inch in July and another 2 over the
last month.  Raised beds and no water!  Hum??

Others, IMMORTALITY, CORN HARVEST, SUMMER OLYMPICS, ETC., were replanted this
year and were hit with the drought.  Very little growth and no rebloom.

The garden is supported and maintained by the Southern Kentucky Iris Society.
 Established in the early 90's, it did not perform well in the beginning.
The garden is out in the open with no shade and it is too far from a water
supply for watering to be practical.  In the spring, water sat in the iris
beds and rot became a problem.

In 1997, it was decided to have soil hauled in and raise the beds above the
paths. There are 4 beds, each containing 4 rows of 15.  One bed was completed
in 1997, one in 1998, and the remaining two were completed in 1999.  The
paths are still at ground level. New mulch for the paths and perimeter of the
beds was put in place today.  Garden looks great with thick clumps in the 1
and 2 year beds.
****
As I started to leave, I spotted a stalk in the 2 year--non-rebloom-- bed.
(I investigated.)  At the upper end of one outside row, rebloom stalks poked
skyward from clumps of ALTRUIST, HONKY TONK BLUES, MALIBU WILDFIRE, CITY
LIGHTS and two varieties that have missing tags.  (Can't wait to find out
what they are!)  Most of them were clumped together.  None of these blooms
had an opportunity to open.  But, HEY!  For me, this is pure gold.  I vote
not to eliminate the occasional rebloomers from the cumulative data base.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I already knew CITY LIGHTS rebloomed here, and I'd read
about ALTRUIST on someone's list--but it was still fun to find them here.

Now where did I put those plans for the roof garden???  Hum!

Betty in Bowling Green, KY where enough neat things happened in the fall
seedling patch to keep hope high.  Biggest news was 2 fall stalks on the EARL
OF ESSEX X HOT STREAK seedling.  Plus, a blue bitone that involved
IMMORTALITY, GLISTENING ICICLE, LATEST STYLE, VICTORIA FALLS, and VANITY.
And then, there was the bitone purple from SEEDLING X FEEDBACK.  Oh, well.
You get the picture.