Re: HYB: question - slow growth?

Re Linda's small growth seedlings.

On the bee pods I have planted for the last few years, there have
always been a small percentage of seedlings which appear healthy,
but remain very small.  The rhizomes seem to stay fixed at 1/8 to 1/4
inch and never progress beyond that in terms of growth.  Sort of a
micro-mini plant.  Eventually something has always happened to
these little fellows - cold, drought, insects, whatever.  They have
been planted right beside pod siblings which have exhibited normal
growth and reached and bloomed (and thus made the compost pile)
after 2-3 years growing.  I have tried to trigger growth in these little
ones by moving, additional fertilized, potting, etc.  But the fact is they
seem to be inherent tiny plants.  Ultimately none have survived and
so far none have ever turned into regular sized rhizomes. I have one
currently which got potted this summer.  It looks very healthy and has
for some time, but the rhizome is about 1/4 inch max and the fan is
correspondingly in proportion.  There has never been any increase.
They look like miniature plants.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7
Does anybody have any thoughts on why these things are growing so
slowly?  Is there a 'slow growth' gene pool out there?  Most of these
have a lot of Blyth ancestry, if that's a clue.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA