Re: LA: SPEC: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: "Patterson, Dallas" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>

You are so right. In our experience, the breadth and depth of misinformation
about irises among typical plant nurseries is breathtaking. Efforts to interest
the uninitiated or other TB iris fanciers usually runs aground when they claim
to be unable to learn anything or purchase anything different from their
favorite 'local' retailer. So, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I had to laugh the other night when I noticed the book, All About Bulbs by
Ortho, has a map claiming iris don't grow in Florida or the upper portions of
Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota. Haven't they heard of I. setosa and the
other cold hardy iris and swamp loving iris <g>? We brought this tiny I.
virginica home in a 4 inch pot and left it there in the Southern California
heat. Eventually, it was planted into a shaded east flowerbed, and it proceeded
to devour half the flower bed and all the plants around it. Within a year it
was 5 feet tall and covered in the biggest blossoms you could ask for, and it
kept on blossoming for a whole month and longer. Now, I wonder what that
monster of yours does for you in a Florida swamp??? <g>

Dallas Patterson