Re:HYB:Seedlings:Slow Growth

From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>

December 4 - Linda Mann wrote:

<I moved them [TB seedlings] out of the seedflats where
I start everything into small pots this fall ....

Does anybody have any thoughts on why these things
are growing so slowly?>
--------------------

My iris seedlings grow well in carefully cultivated rows in the
garden, where they have enough space the first year that their
growth is not limited by barriers or competition. I plant iris
seeds directly into the ground just before the ground freezes in
the fall. I keep the seedling rows watered until they come up and
a little longer if there is dry weather in the spring. My garden
usually has continuous snow cover in the winter.

If you want to fool with pots in a greenhouse next time, you could
separate plants from your flats into individual pots much sooner
in the summer, and keep repotting the plants into larger pots as
they grow, but that's a lot of trouble if you have very many
seedlings. And you still have to get them hardened off and into
the ground before winter.

Hope this helps.

Dan Mason  zone 3, NW Ontario
(Where the last month has been unusually dry
and the temperatures mild.)