Re: TB: older cultivar query

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
>
> Another older one that has piqued my curiosity is called
> CAIRO LYRIC (Peterson '73).  Can't find much else on this
> one.  I know this hybridizer worked with arils and this one
> has what I've come to think of as an arilbred sounding name.
> Does it have any aril genes?  Or just purely a TB?  Does
> anyone grow it?

Donald,

Your reasons for suspecting that CAIRO LYRIC might be an AB are entirely
plausible, but as a matter of fact it is a straight TB (Black Swan X Gala
Madrid). I grew it for a number of years. The flowers were a bit on the
small side, but the stalks had a very high bud count. The color pattern
somewhat resembles that of Schreiner's VIGILANTE. It was not a particularly
strong grower for me.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com