Re: SPEC: Moreaea polystachya

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 12/4/99 1:18:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nye@mail.fidalgo.net writes:

<< We added some Dietes bicolor / Moraea bicolor and Dietes iridoides to our
 collection of Irids while living in Southern California. Ellen, my wife,
 liked the yellow of the bicolor; and I liked the white and lavender of
 the iridoides. Unfortunately, we had to leave them behind when we moved
 to Washington. They were in the ground and couldn't be expected to
 survive a move in January. We recently planted a Dietes vegeta in a
 protected location by the foundation of the house. We're experimenting to
 see if the micro-climate next to the house will be sufficient to overcome
 USDA Zone 8 climate that is supposedly slightly hostile to this plant.
 The photos of the other Irids on the Web site are interesting, aren't
 they? Check out the Dietes and the Neomarica.... >>

Dear Dallas,

Actually, the Dietes were what I looked up after the Moraeas.  We visited our
daughter in Thousand Oaks in June and saw huge clumps of Dietes bicolor and
iridoides blooming all over the place.  We have started iridoides from SIGNA
seed, but didn't get the bicolor.  So we bought potted plants and brought
them home on the airplane.  We have access to part of a greenhouse and keep
Dietes and Moraeas there for the winter.  I have one question that the bulb
page didn't answer.  Nurseries seem to be selling the same plant as either
Dietes iridoides or Moraea iridoides or Dietes vegeta.  Are these all the
same thing or are the nurseries mixed up as usual?
Hope yours survive in their new home.

Dorothy Willott