Re: TB: older cultivar query

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 12/4/99 9:55:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
donald@eastland.net writes:

<< Another older one that has piqued my curiosity is called
 CAIRO LYRIC (Peterson '73).  Can't find much else on this
 one.  I know this hybridizer worked with arils and this one
 has what I've come to think of as an arilbred sounding name.
 Does it have any aril genes?  Or just purely a TB?  Does
 anyone grow it? >>

Hi Donald,

I have never grown CAIRO LYRIC, but I just happen to have out the 1972 R & I
book for another question.  It was registered in 1972 and introduced in 1973.
 Surprisingly, it is not from aril breeding.  Parents are Black Swan X Gala
Madrid, both TBs.  Registered as a 32 inch TB, the standards are
butterscotch-bronze, falls nearly black, butterscotch bronze beard.

Dorothy Willott