Re: SPEC: Moreaea polystachya

From: "Patterson, Dallas" <nye@mail.fidalgo.net>

Hi Dorothy,

We ran into exactly the same problem, and we've never found a completely
satisfactory answer. However, we did find the following information.

All About Bulbs by Ortho, 1981, 1986, pages 58 and 78-79; describes the plants
with what I interpret as the botanical name followed by the botanical synonyms:

"D. bicolor (Moraea bicolor)...."

"D. iridoides (D. vegeta, Moraea vegeta, M. iridoides)...."

On page 78, the entry seems to imply that "M. iridoides and M. bicolor"
actually belong to the genus Dietes. These species epithets are not repeated in
the list of proper Moraea.

Sunset New Western Garden Book, Third printing, April 1979, Page 273, is even
more confusing. The article heading, "DIETES (Moraea). FORTNIGHT LILY, AFRICAN
IRIS." seems to suggest that the synonym for Dietes is Moraea. It proceeds to
describe "D. bicolor" and "D. vegeta (D. iridoides, Moraea iridoides). This
source does not clarify the differences between the rhizomes of Dietes and the
corms of Moraea.

Our older and more comprehensive gardening encyclopedias have unceremoniously
lumped the species into the single genus of Moraea. The articles discuss the
corms and rhizomes of the species almost interchangeably. There is no listing
for the genus Dietes in these gardening encyclopedias.

We've also found a variety of nomenclature for these plants on the Internet.

Judging from the many sources we've seen, it appears as though the species were
earlier lumped into the genus Moraea, and more recently have been divided into
the genera of Dietes and Moraea. The continued description of these plants in
the horticultural trade as Moraea and Dietes seems to be consistent with the
conservative approach of lagging behind changes of nomenclature by the
botanical authorities. In other words, they seem to be "all mixed up as usual"
<g>. Nonetheless, this is no more than speculation and guesswork on our part.
Perhaps someone with access to the latest botanical and horticultural
nomenclature authorities can bring us all up to date with the real stuff???

I hope you enjoy your Butterfly Iris as much as we have our own.

Dallas Patterson