Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris--was: TB: Thornbird Info.

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 12/5/99 12:22:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<< I simply can't make sense of the winningest HM quarterbred
 arilbred only getting 13 votes...out of how many judges?  How many hundreds
 of judges declined to vote for this class?  Quarterbreds can be grown
 everywhere that TBs can be grown.  Aren't judges under any obligation to
 grow them? >>

Dear Dennis:

It appears that you are not having a problem growing arils and arilbreds, but
we have had a lot of difficulty with them.  Only the last two years of
drought has been good to them.  In the past many, many rotted even though we
gave them a raised bed with a lot of sand and gravel in it.  In Region Six
garden tours we have seen hardly any and even at the AIS convention there
have been few.  Are aril hybridizers sending guests to the conventions?  Or
have they sent them only to have them die or behave poorly.

I must admit that I did not vote for even one aril or arilbred HM, because I
had never seen the eligible varieties.  I did vote for some AMs.  Of the
Quarterbreds, I voted for Kalifa's Horn which is growing very well here.  In
the higher percentage arilbreds I voted for Anacrusis and Atten.  Atten is
doing fairly well and we had first time seedlings from it bloom this year.
Anacrusis was beautiful when it bloomed the first year we had it, but it did
not survive.  I was familiar with only one candidate for the William Mohr
Medal and I did not think it was very good, so I didn't vote in that
category.  There were several good varieties eligible for the Clarence G.
White Medal and I voted for the one that we are able to grow and cross with,
Queen Sheba.  Some interesting seedlings came from crossing Queen Sheba with

I consider myself a conscientious judge, but it is impossible to grow, see
and vote for every type of iris.  I always keep a copy of my ballot so I can
check it against what wins.  Unfortunately, there are judges who only vote
for TBs.  AIS rules do not prohibit this.  As long as the ballot is returned
on time and other rules are followed. The judge can vote for only one iris
and be counted as voting.  I attended the AIS Board Meeting in November and
someone made the point that the general public is primarily interested in
tall bearded irises because they are the showiest.  Therefore, to attract and
keep members, AIS must cater to the desires of the majority.

Well, it is past my bedtime.

Dorothy Willott