Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris--was:

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 12/5/1999 12:22:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

<<  Is it possible for them to vote for only TBs and ignore the other
 classes?  I simply can't make sense of the winningest HM quarterbred
 arilbred only getting 13 votes...out of how many judges?  >>

Hi Dennis:

I'm a judge, so I think I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, it's not true that judges ignore other classes - but, we can
only honestly vote for what we grow.  You simply cannot know an iris any
other way.  Would I vote for an arilbred because my friend in New Mexico
likes it??  I don't think so.

I cannot personally grow arils or arilbreds.  Can't do it and life's too
short for me to fuss over that.  After a few instantaneous and spectacular
failures, I don't bother ordering those types.  So if I don't grow them, I
skip that class entirely.

In fact, as a judge, I am REQUIRED to vote the ballot - given the criteria
outlined in the judges handbook and guided by my personal ethics.  I grow a
broad range of irises BUT my votes tend to fall in the median and beardless
classes.  These are what grow best for me and where I feel most confident
about casting a vote.  I am not compelled to vote for any certain number of
irises.... and so I skip many classes.  I skip PCN's.  I skip LA's (because I
grow only a few).

So just because the aril only got 13 votes does not mean anything in
particular except that arils and arilbreds are not universally easy to grow.

Kathy Guest - who also did not vote for a TB for the Dykes
in East Aurora, NY

You've built the community -now build the knowledge! Use the 1st FREE
comprehensive web feedback and survey tool - ZOOMERANG!
Thought U needed a research company to get this capability?Not anymore