Re: HYB: Seedlings: slow growth

From: linda Mann <lmann@mailhub.icx.net>

Thanks Donald for reports on similar growth in some of your seedlings.

Like Donald's seedlings, these have been growing in the same medium in
the same location as my own crosses, which have grown like weeds and
some younger ones are now blooming size.

Unlike Donald's, all the offspring from these particular crosses are
small.  I have been starting seeds in large, deep flats in the back yard
where they used to get morning sun, but it was too shady this year (elm
getting too big).  Because I am interested in tough plants, once the
seedlings get established, none of them get much coddling - erratic
heavy watering, lots of alfalfa pellets & occasional balanced fertilizer
& ground limestone.  A lot of these miniature seedlings died the first
and second year, but this year, I think they all lived.  Most of them
dropped most of their foliage during the prolonged drought, but put on
new leaves when I remembered to water them.

After posting the question about them looking like arilbred rhizomes, I
had a moment of deja vu - seems like I asked the same question a year
ago - I will check the archives.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA