Re: Re: HYB: Seedlings: slow growth

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

	Linda, there are weak seedlings in every cross, and sometimes the entire
pod produces slow growers.  I let Mother Nature take care of that and don't worry if
these weaklings or slow growers pass into oblivion.  Chalk it up to experience.  Reconsider
the cross you made.  Think twice before using those parents again.

	If you are 'bound and determined," (and I know you are  :)),  remove
the weak seedlings from the pot intact.  Place the contents in an
area of your garden where things grow well.  Come back to them a year
later.  If they have survived and grown, line them out.  I have one
pot like that now....it is out of EURYTHMIC, and you know how testy
she is!  And, I'll use EURYTHMIC  again until I get something, so I
am 'bound and determined,' too.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

> Unlike Donald's, all the offspring from these particular crosses are
> small.  I have been starting seeds in large, deep flats in the back yard
> where they used to get morning sun, but it was too shady this year (elm
> getting too big).  Because I am interested in tough plants, once the
> seedlings get established, none of them get much coddling - erratic heavy
> watering, lots of alfalfa pellets & occasional balanced fertilizer &
> ground limestone.  A lot of these miniature seedlings died the first and
> second year, but this year, I think they all lived.  Most of them dropped
> most of their foliage during the prolonged drought, but put on new leaves
> when I remembered to water them.
>
> After posting the question about them looking like arilbred rhizomes, I
> had a moment of deja vu - seems like I asked the same question a year ago
> - I will check the archives.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource