Re:Re:Popularizing non-TB Iris was:TB:Thornbird Info

From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>

Voting for a Dykes award eligible Iris is a great responsibility--the most
important criteria is--if you have grown it for 2 years, do you believe that
it grows well and blooms well in your area?
That in itself sorta lets out most Arils and Aril-bred --they do not grow
and bloom well in Montana
The same for Louisianas, the same for most Japanese--and PCN's--
So--I do not vote for these on my ballot--Many times, I have seen and
admired several of the listed ones--but seeing it one year at an Annual
Meeting--does not match the criteria for voting for it to be a Dykes Medal
A couple years ago-before AIS changed to more TB's on the ballot for Dykes
Medals--there were 3 of each variety--and since I do grow Siberians, all
Medians and Spurias, I felt confident enough to vote in these areas--
No---I did not vote for a TB--I have not voted for a TB for at least 5 years
now--as there are others growing in this area which are far superior to any
TB in this area--as I have said before--Thornbird is not a good grower
here--rarely has all horns, the color is YUCKY, but I have seen it
elsewhere--usually at Annual Meeting--and it looks like a different
flower--and maybe, If I lived there and it grew so nicely for me, I might
vote for it--I have to grow it in our club garden--as it is a Dykes
winner--but usually it is not a flower that visitors stop and oh and ahhhhhh
As many growers do--I started with mostly TB's--now I grow my favorites
only--and have many other varieties--but many growers cannot afford time,
effort or the money needed to remove almost all TB's from their yard and
replace them with other varieties--Medians meed more care than TB's--so if
you are not going to spend a lot of time in the yard--TB's are the most
likely choice--
Just wait--the younger generation will eventually be taking over--and the
younger ones seem to be growing more of the other varieties--so in a few
more years--maybe the growers of TB's only will be in the minority--hope
Carryl in western Montana--where it was 12 last night and ground is frozen
about 8" deep now