Re: AR: Popularity, or lack thereof

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

Sharon writes:

>The question is whether we can help people thru the pitfalls to find what
>works for them....

There must be a lot of growers out here in the world who are willing to try
and try again.  I know that is my approach.  But first one has to find what
is available and obtain it.  When I first saw photos of aril types it was in
that garden catalog nemesis "Springhill Nursery".  My first exposure to
this type of iris in that commercial catalog?  It was enough to start me
on the search, join AIS and ultimately track them down and obtain them.
Must it remain so difficult?  I've grown plants of all kinds since I was
pre-pubescent (it's a disease) and yet only when I saw them in Springhill
did I become aware of them as a category of iris.  I must say that spurias
don't fare much better as far as I can tell.  And all too often it is
just beardeds - short ones and tall ones - which doesn't do justice to the
median class since they perform differently and have different bloom times
from the TBs.  It may be unfortunate, but the general gardening trade is
where many gardeners obtain their info, their plants and, I'm sorry to say,
their prejudices.  But knowledge can start in many places and ultimately
filter down to widespread and diverse outlets.  This doesn't happen when
avenues are closed due to turf wars or to 'members only can appreciate'
attitudes.  Tom Tadfor Little once suggested a more egalitarian approach
concerning the arilbreds and how they were promoted in an ASI Bulletin.
I think he made a good point and I think it would apply to all iris types.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7