Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris--was:

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

I want to thank Dorothy, Kathy, Carryl, and the others for helping me to
understand the voting process.  I appreciate that, and apologize for being
so beligerent to the judges in my original messsage.

I began growing irises in 1997.  I started with maybe 40 cvs, about 8 of
which were arilbreds.  I knew nothing about growing these things, so they
all got planted together side-by-side.  Since then I've learned a lot from
AIS, Aril Society, Iris-Talk, etc.  Surprisngly, some of my original
purchases turned out to be 3/4-breds...which most anyone will say should
not be growable in Cincinnati...but they are still alive and going strong
in the same beds since '97.

So in my limited experience, starting off as a complete idiot knowing
nothing, and yet still being successful with them, well I'm just stunned to
hear that Dorothy, Kathy, and Carryl, who are iris experts in comparison,
have had a tough time with arilbreds.

I have lost a greater percentage of TB's to rot (mostly Blyth stuff) than
arilbreds.  So I am perplexed when I hear that arilbreds (quarterbreds in
particular) are too hard to grow.  My personal experience speaks loudly to
the contrary.  For the record, my collection of arilbreds is now at 38 cvs,
aprox. 1/4 of my total iris collection.

Maybe I'm just blessed with good soil?  Beginners luck?  Who knows.....

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com