Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

RosalieAnn writes:

>So the object of people who are trying to get more types of iris grown
should
>be the education of GARDENERS, starting the the AIS membership, but
>concentrating on people who like to garden, and not just the general
public.

Okay, I'll replace the term 'general public' with 'gardener'.  That is what
have been for a number of years with wider interests than just irises as
I expect many people on this list have as well.

>The Dykes medal seems to be sort of a popularity contest anyway.  I think
>Dorothy did a good job of explaining things from a judges perspective, and
>see nothing wrong with that.  If you want aril-breds to do better, then the
>people who can grow them must make an effort to get judges into their
>gardens, or get the iris into the judges gardens (do judges have to have
>gardens?).  Just general proselytizing in general, and complaining won't
help
>too much.

I have no problem with the awards or how they are voted.  I note them, but
do not base my acquisitions on whether or not something has won an award.
And I agree it would be good for judges to have access of some sort to the
arilbred class.  But I'm not much interested in the award aspect of the
issue, just in getting people to have some familiarity with the plants in a
broader way.  I think many iris types deserve a mention in a general
gardening catalog, but in general I don't think any but TBs get the
mention.  I love TBs.  Grow more of them than anything else.  But it has
proven to be more difficult to obtain and learn about the other types.
I'm sure my location hinders that accessability.  AIS is surely aimed
at pleasing its members and I think the AIS does a pretty good job of
it.  But surely the purpose of such an organization is somewhat
wider than that.  Else why seek new members?  Again, I think AIS as
an organization is doing pretty well.  But the members with special
interests have to share or AIS has its hands tied.  The folks in the
reblooming iris group and those that work with the space agers are
doing very well at promoting and disseminating information about
those interests.  So it can happen.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7 - who really needs to start lurking