Re: SPEC: Moreaea polystachya

From: Karen Jellum <7kjellum@3rivers.net>

e've also found a variety of nomenclature for these plants on the Internet.

>Judging from the many sources we've seen, it appears as though the species
were
>earlier lumped into the genus Moraea, and more recently have been divided into
>the genera of Dietes and Moraea. The continued description of these plants in
>the horticultural trade as Moraea and Dietes seems to be consistent with the
>conservative approach of lagging behind changes of nomenclature by the
>botanical authorities. In other words, they seem to be "all mixed up as usual"
><g>. Nonetheless, this is no more than speculation and guesswork on our part.
>Perhaps someone with access to the latest botanical and horticultural
>nomenclature authorities can bring us all up to date with the real stuff???
>

>Dallas Patterson
>nye@fidalgo.net

The American Horticultural Society's A-Z Encyclopidia of Garden Plants lists
Dietes as a genus of  6 species of evergreen, rhizomatous perennials in the
iridaceae family while moraea is listed as a genus of about 120 species of
deciduous or semi-deciduous, cormous perennials in the iridaceae family.
There are nice photos of Dietes bicolor, Moraea polystachya, and M.
ramossima.  In the descriptions of the species they start out with
rhizomatous perennial for the dietes and cormous perennial for the moraea.

Karen, who recently say M. polystachya at the Phoenix Botanical Gardens.