Re: AIS: semi-Historic D.M. Ballot

Its hard to vote for irises you've never seen or grown so wouldn't it be beneficial to require judges to take a varied class program covering all varieties of iris. I know its sometimes difficult to have judges training centralized enough for everyone to attend, but maybe the clubs/RVP can put special effort into having at least one judges training session a year on a class of iris other than TBs or Awards and Ballots. I'm not down playing the importance of knowing TBs because they are by far the most prevelent, but wouldn't a class on Species, or SpeciesX, or Historics be wonderful.
Our club sponsered classes on Spurias and one on Louisiannas last year. I'll bet some show up at our show next year.
Cindy Rivera
President of the Albuquerque Iris Society
Albuquerque, NM, Zone 6/7