Re: CULT: About the Survey and AIS

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/5/99 5:36:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
inanda@bc.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Anner, Thank you for this.  There has been so much rubbish floating around
the lily list and a hosta list - please, this survey is 'Our Faves'  Nothing
more, nothing
 less. And maybe why they are our favourites. >>

There is always some rubbish floating around plant societies.

The idea in this survey was to identify some of today's best garden irises.
Several people were even prepared to include ones which were not their
strongest growers because they considered them very valuable, but overall the
attention focused on beautiful irises which were also dependable performers
and strong plants. I believe this is a useful body of information we have

When I expressed the hope, that we not give our results, particularly in the
compiled version which lacks nuance, more authority than those results
actually have, it is not because I don't believe they should be borne in mind
in relation to AIS issues. As a matter of fact, I think that collectively
they offer insights which those charged with directing the course of AIS
would do well to mull at some length.

When I say this has not been an AIS activity as such, it is because while
many if not most of us are members, this list is not an AIS group, nor did
AIS as a governing body pose the question.

But I really do not believe that a person's individual contribution should be
commandeered in support of other people's agendas for change within the
Society with which the survey participant may not agree.

Anner Whitehead

Got a question about boating? Skiing? Rollerblading? Fishing?
Ask a real expert at www.ExpertCentral.com
With over 4700 experts, the Web's largest question and answer resource