Re: CULT: best in my garden

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 12/6/99 6:38:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mike00Rita@aol.com writes:

<<  I know I'm late but finally unearthed my list made 2 weeks ago.
 These are the ones which do best for me on a regular basis:
 Winter Olympics
 Shampoo
 Supreme Sultan
 Hello Darkness
 Strawberry Fair
 Caesar's Brother
 Calico Cat
 Gingerbread Man
 Dotted Line
 Chief Sequoia
 Drive You Wild
 Change Of Pace
 Aquatic Alliance
 White Arts
 I. foetidissama
 Wabash
 Ola Kala
 Omar's Torch
 Michael Paul
 Camelot Rose
 Lorilie
 Candy Apple
 Dixie Pixie
 Jessie's Song
 Pink Kitten
 I. japonica
 Fall Festival
 I. Pallida
 Dorthea K Williamson
 Going My Way
 Joyce Terry
 Pinnacle
 Vernal (versicolor)
 I obviously cannot count either!
  Rita B
 Western WA
 zone 7/8 where it is presently F 45 and drizzling again >>

Rita, that is a very interesting list and I'm delighted you found it and sent
it in. I was looking forward to your list!

Something that interests me on these things is how wide the good range on
some of the plants is. An iris may get a whole lot of attention in one
cultural range but when one gets mentioned in a lot of different places, that
catches my attention.

SHAMPOO is a neat little greenish median iris that I have admired in the
past. BB I believe? I think Hall picked it out at a show once, along with
OBLIGATO and HOLY NIGHT. And I'm pleased to see good old CAMELOT ROSE show
up, and OLA KALA for heaven's sake! I bet that one accounts for a lot of
larger yellow unknowns one hears about. I have seen CALICO CAT looking very
nice in VA, too. Cute as a newt!

Thank you.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com