Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

Bill Shear wrote:

> From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
>
> In all this subject, I think I find RosalieAnn's comments closest to my own
> thoughts.  I would certainly agree that AIS (as opposed to local clubs) has
> little contact with the general gardening public, and mostly "preaches to
> the converted."  Probably that is as it should be.

Of course there is much to what you say, but AIS is people. People who
grow irises. People who love showing off their gardens and irises to
anyone who shows the slightest bit of interest.

> ....  I also do not
> like the show ethos and avoid competetive shows like the plague.  To
> paraphrase a great composer who refused to enter a lucrative competition,
> "Contests are for horses, not gardeners."

Once again, I agree on one level, but.... Shows excite the public. I
still remember the awe I felt ten and a half years ago when I walked up
to the first show I had seen. I joined the local club immediately,
joined the AIS as soon as I knew it existed (a few months later), and am
still getting more hooked all the time.

Be that as it may, the competitive aspect gets more people to enter, and
gets those who enter to take more stalks from their gardens. That is a
Good Thing. The sort of cutthroat competition I have read about does not
exist here. I have entered and/or judged shows at most of the clubs in
Region 15. Here people will tell others about mislabeled iris, will give
grooming tips, will lend equipment, etc. When a pupil beats out the
mentor for the Silver Medal, both are proud. Friendly competition
between friends.

Shows are good.

BTW, your final quotation reminds me of a lyric from a song that
continues "they say it'll kill me but they won't say when" but that was
referring to something else starting with "co".

Gerry, who has found show judging much more pleasurable than expected
--
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com
Gerry Snyder, AIS Symposium Chair