Re: Re: Popularizing non-TB iris--was:

From: "Dell Perry" <Dellp@gwmail.plano.gov>

>>> Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com> 12/05 2:51 PM >>>
From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
Dennis wrote:
 I knew nothing about growing these things, so they
all got planted together side-by-side.  ......So in my limited experience,
starting off as a complete idiot knowing nothing, and yet still being successful
with them, ....Maybe I'm just blessed with good soil?  Beginners luck?  Who knows.....

I had noticed that I had better 'luck' with iris back when I knew nothing. It seems the old saying 'Ignorance is Bliss" is certainly true for me. Everything grew wonderfully...not enough sun, too much water, wrong fertilizer, ground level beds, crowded, ...you get the picture.  Then as I learned of my sins and began fixing things, the problems began....rot, blight, no bloom, unknown plague, no increase, bloom-out, leaf spot, aphids.  Maybe the Sins of Ignorance just manifested themselves as the Age of Enlightenment dawned.

I know I'm not alone in this, as this has been said to me by many of our new members after their first/second year of growing irises. I tell them to just hang in there, it does get better (doesn't it?)

Its kind of comforting to find out it is not just a 'Texas thang'.

Dell in Plano
 Where the temperature went into the upper 20's last night and the high today should be mid 60's. Winter is peeking at us, waiting to pounce like a cat on a mouse.
 There , most likely, goes the rebloom on HI,  FROST ECHO, and CANTINA, that I noticed were 'pregnant' a couple of weeks ago, and are now sending up stalks.